Game Results

I got my second game of Kings of War in over the weekend, and, by luck of the dice, I won (vs. Ogres). I mean that too, it was luck.

I think my initial placement was good, with a core force and a right-side, fast, flanking force. I shot my opponent's fast forces off the table immediately and advanced my right flank causing him to have to react. Around the middle I got two good combined charges off and routed his giant and his siege breakers, but that left my left flank open and he got a horde of warriors into the rear and my war machines. That horde went on to destroy both bolt throwers, a regiment of Palace Guard, and the BSB. In the same area, I also lost my horde of Sea Guard to an oncoming regiment of warriors (to be fair, they had been shot up twice by the opposing shooters).

Late game saw me collapsing the right side of the opposing line with my Dragon Lord, Chariots, and Gladestalkers curving around and bearing down on the shooters who had to turn to face me. I had some terrible dice against an enemy BSB and got my chariots and the Gladestalkers help up for two turns which mean the Dragon Lord was the only one who could reach the Shooters. Of course, they were shooting hard at him now that he was finally in range. He took one round easily enough, but then he had to take another round to close the distance, and even then, he could only go into the shooters front and by himself was not punchy enough to waiver them, so they got to hit back. After their counter attack, they needed anything three or higher to rout the Dragon Lord. The first roll would have done it, but in the crucial lucky bit, the re-roll came up snake eyes.

At that point, the game ended. I was ahead by 170 points which, in a 1500 point game, was 20 points of enough to win instead of draw. We went through the extra turn had it happened. I would have again failed to rout the shooters, but would have gotten out of their sight. However, the lone enemy BSB would have charged me and done a wound. Snake eyes would not have happened twice. So it was close, real close.

I get the impression that this is not uncommon for KoW though, which seems to me to be a good thing. I need to see about playing in Ultimate Battle though. Both to find opponents and to field test armies before committing to the minis.

Comments

Popular Posts