Hobby Update - October, 2021

I've been painting. Not as much as I wish I had, but more than I have been for years. I have a variety of excuses, of course. I'm always tired by the time I get home, take care of the dog, and make dinner. I want to decompress. And painting hurts. Literally. It HURTS to paint. After about 40-45 minutes, my back starts feeling like someone is digging a knife into it. Trust me, that's not an incentive to paint. But I also want painted armies and I have a significant other who enjoys painting her army, and so we paint. I just try to get up and move around frequently. Oh, and I'm alergic to superglue. It makes me sneeze like crazy with the whole watery eyes and pouring nose for about three to four days after I use it. Also, not an incentive to paint or at least to model.

Since the last update, I have not completed a single unit, but that's because the unit I am currently working on is a horde of Salamander Ceremonial Guard. As of last night, I have painted and based exactly half of them (15) on a regiment base though it still needs sealing. Once it's sealed, expect a photo. I have also painted the regiment base for the other half of the horde. I've laid out the other 15 guardlizards out and glued their heads on. Painting may start as soon as today. Salamanders remain my primary army.

But right behind them now are my Abyssal Dwarfs. I've continued to be interested in them though I found a curious abnormality. There is a lot of talk about how many of their units are borken, how they are playing on "easy mode", how everyone is playing them, etc. And yet.... and yet, they don't seem that common or popular. If you look at tournament list repositories such as the Spymaster Archives, while you do see a few Abyssal Dwarf armies, you don't see that many. They are usually down there right with Salamanders and Trident Realms (but ahead of Rat Slaves and Brothermark). In fact, in tournaments lately the most common armies seem to be Undead, Undead, Order of the Green Lady, Undead, and Imperial Dwarves. I also can't find all that many discussions of tactics for them and the major KoW podcasts haven't doen an army review of them since 3d ed. dropped. It seems like the perception of their ubiquity vastly outweights their actual popularity. Of course, if they aren't as popular, that just makes me want to play them more because I am a contrarian.

Finally, there is one other piece of big news hobbywise. I got a 3d resin printer!!! In the last two weeks, I've printed a bunch of dwarves - Beserkers, Immortal Guard, Leaders on Winnged Halbreeds, Halfbreeds, etc. This has only fueled my desire to get the Abyssal Dwarfs fielded. I've also printed some things for my Salamanders, mostly reduced fire elementals to be Ember Sprites and various items of Roman equipment. Still, it's been a lot of fun although now in the evenings browsing the various websites of printable mini files competes with painting.

Anyway, that's it for this month. See you next month and thanks for reading!

Comments

Popular Posts