Forces of Nature & League of Rhordia update for Kings of War

Forces of Nature:

I’ve started collecting. I got the Kickstarter army box via ebay so it gave me 20 naiads, 20 salamanders, a druid (who’s got two really cool poses), 3 forest shamblers, and a greater earth elemental. I really kind of like the last one – can’t decide if I want to keep him in whatever paint scheme for the army I end up with or paint him up as pyrite (fool’s gold). I want another one. :-) That being said, the fire elemental may fit my army a bit better, more punch, less tarpit. The naiads can do the tarpitting with their natural regeneration plus the heals this army can put out. At least that was my thinking when I grabbed two more units of 20 naiads each, bringing me to 60, and a centaur chief. Well, it was part of my thinking.

The thinking went like this: naiads seem to me to make good tarpits, especially in hordes where they will be able to make the most of their regen (and they already pathfind), so they would be a horde. The same sprue also makes the naiad missile troops who I likely will also want to field. Thus, I’d need a lot of naiads. Salamanders, on the other hand, have higher def and more punch. I envisioned them in an offensive role, in which case being more nimble as a unit made more sense, hence regiment size there. Now, I’m not so sure. Of course, had I gone the other way, I’d still be double guessing myself.

I also started what is, so far, my biggest conversion project. I really want to field Sylph Talonriders. These things are sylphs with bows mounted on giant eagles. They have fly and thus are nimble and thus take no penalty to shooting when they move. They also have decent melee attack stats and the speed to apply that when and where they want to be in the fight. But try to find a model… woof. So what I’m doing is getting some giant eagles (from GW damnit), a box of Sisters of the Thorn (also from GW damnit), and some fairy wings from Reaper. I’m going to put the wings on the back of the Sisters, give them the Wild Hunt arms with the spears, and mount them on the giant eagles. I think it’ll look awesome! I’m very excited about this one.

And then I still need to acquire a couple pegasi, a winged unicorn (alicorn?), and either a chimera or a chimera and maybe an owlbear. Nature has no war machines, but with that lineup, I don’t know that they need them.

I haven’t decided on color scheme here – it’s very hard. In theory, you’d want your army to have 2-4 common colors that are in all the units somehow. It brings the army together on the tabletop. You don’t want too many colors because that ends up looking hodge-podge. And you want your colors to work well together. You see a lot of red and black, red and white, blue and yellow, etc. You want some contrast between these colors but not too much either. With a nature based army you have: greens and browns (trees); browns and greys (earth & rock creatures); red, orange and yellow (fire creatures); sea greens, blues, and teals (water creatures); and white or dust colored (air creatures). And that’s not including the weapons and armors. It’s too many colors. So I’m trying to reduce it. The last idea was magenta (precisely because it is NOT on any of the above lists and thus is foreign to everyone), turquoise , a dull brown, and purple (which it shares with the elves). They don’t look bad together, but I’m afraid there might be too many strong colors. I’m also not sure how I’d apply that to a fire elemental or trees.

I might be able to simplify that to say turquoise, orange, and brown.



League of Rhordia:

This one is still waiting for my Kickstarter pledge to arrive in March (scheduled – we’ll see if that stays). That will give me a huge core of halflings. Then I’ll want to fill it out with a couple iron beasts (I have a reaper model in mind), something to be the house guard, something to be house knights, and something to be a couple more volley guns. Oh, and a duke on winged Aralez because flying and flying dogs are cool (my duke might be a Halfling because I can totally see a Halfling riding a flying dog). I’m really excited about the goat cav; I hope these miniatures turn out to be as good looking as the images were.

I’m not sure about color here either; a lot will depend on what nature ends up sporting. I had tentatively been thinking about black, light blue, and silver. But red offers potential as well.

Comments

Popular Posts