My OTHER current Space Marine army

As you may recall, I have another Space Marine army aside from my White Templars.  It used to be a Salamander army, but that is probably coming to an end for a variety of reasons including the fact that it bothers me a lot to have this army not match the official Salamander paint scheme and the fact that my White Templars fit the bill of being a "Vanilla" Space Marine army.  For the purposes of this post, I'm going to call these ex-Salamanders the "Emerald Griffons" which is just one of a ton of names I have considered for them.  The Emerald Griffons look like the this:


You might note that this paint scheme looks a lot like the Disciples of Caliban, a Dark Angel spin-off; at least I did.  I don't have a Dark Angel chapter and I have other designs for the Blood Angel successor I want to do someday, so it seemed a possibility.  The Disciples of Caliban look like this:





Note the shoulder pads and trim reverse, the aquilla changes colors, and the lower arms and abdomen are all different.  Still not too far off.  I would also might have to remove the gold shoulder trim from the command squad.  However, unless one is playing Deathwing or Ravenwing, there is not a lot of difference between Dark Angels and Vanilla Marines.  The Dark Angels are somewhat more restricted in that they often seem to have a base squad size or an added group of people.  You cannot add individual marines.

The big thing that Dark Angels bring to the table is that they can make Ravenwing or Deathwing armies.  Being former Sallies, the Griffons have a lot of Terminators so I can almost make a Deathwind army right now which would be markedly different from my White Templar force.  However, a Ravenwing force would NOT be much different from the White Templar bike army I am building except that the Ravenwing cannot have scout bikes though it can mix a land speeder into the biker units.  Thus, one of the two things you get in exchange for having a more restricted general army build is not really of much interest to me.

(You may recall that I previously was going to use the Dark Angels as the gene-seed for the White Templars, however someone on BolternandChainsword convinced me that this meant I would have to use the DA Codex since "all" DA successors are Unforgiven.  Having now reviewed that codex in detail, I am not convinced.  In several places it says that the term Unforgiven is limited to the DA and their Second Founding successors.  I think a better reading of the codex is that only the Second Founding (and maybe the Disciples of Caliban) are Unforgiven.)

I am still probably going in the direction of the Disciples, at least for now.  The fit is too good to ignore the possibility and I do LIKE the Dark Angel's fluff.  I'm just not a huge fan of their codex.

So, for all you Dark Angel fans who avidly follow my blog, what do you think of a general or even tank heavy Dark Angel Army with no bikes or land speeders?  Viable?  How should I play it?  Do you think I need to repaint the shoulders and aquilla of my Griffons or is there room in the Dark Angels for company color variations?

Comments

Popular Posts